Normally when working in Excel, if we want to remove a cell(s) contents we would simply push the Delete key on our keyboard. This would delete the contents of the cell. However, it will not delete the formatting of the cell in any way. What this means is, if we had a cell with a yellow background, blue font and formatted for currency, and the value $10. 00 in the cell. Pushing Delete would only remove the value 10. All the other cell attributes would remain intact.
Let's try just this so that you can see what we mean.
- In cell A3, type the value 10. Format the cell for currency of any kind, make it yellow and make the font blue.
- Click in cell A3 and push Delete.
- Now type any number in the cell and as you will see, you will still have a yellow cell with blue font and formatted for currency.
- This time, with cell A3 selected, go to Edit>Clear>All
- Now type any number in cell A3 and all you will have is the number in black font, with no formatting and no background color.
- Click the Undo button to undo the Clear All action.
- Ensure A3 is still your active cell. Go to Edit>Clear>Formats and cell A3 should now only have the number 10 in the cell without any formatting of any kind.
While these differences may appear subtle, they can be very handy should you have a large range of cells which you have specifically formatted and you only want to clear the contents and not the formatting or vice versa. Got any Excel Questions? Free Excel Help
Go To Free Excel Training Lesson 29 . Back to Previous Lesson
Go to Excel Basic/Level 1 Training Index
Instant Download and Money Back Guarantee on Most Software
Excel Trader Package Technical Analysis in Excel With $139.00 of FREE software!
Microsoft ® and Microsoft Excel ® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. OzGrid is in no way associated with Microsoft
Some of our more popular products are below...
Convert Excel Spreadsheets To Webpages | Trading In Excel | Construction Estimators | Finance Templates & Add-ins Bundle | Code-VBA | Smart-VBA | Print-VBA | Excel Data Manipulation & Analysis | Convert MS Office Applications To...... | Analyzer Excel | Downloader Excel | MSSQL Migration Toolkit | Monte Carlo Add-in | Excel Costing Templates