When checkbox is clicked, auto insert item into another ws

• Mornin' y'all, I've got a big project that I'd like to do, but I'm stuck at the very beginning. I've posted this question in a few other forums over the last week, but I've received no answers, so am hoping y'all might be able to help out. I'm basically doing an auto-ish grocery list with coupons.

I've got one workbook, tab A=Master List, tab B=Shopping List, tab C=Coupons. On Master list is a page full of categories/sub-cats (beans/grn bns, cereal/Cheerios, etc.) with a checkbox next to it. (A,B,C=checkbox, item, linked cell). Shopping list is blank except for the headings & outline.

Coupons is running list of all of the coupons we have available. Ultimately, my goal is to have Shopping List insert items as follows: When I click a checkbox on Master List, it should automatically insert the item sub-category (Cheerios) into the item column on Shopping List. Once an item is listed on the Shopping List, then I'd like it to scan Coupons for the sub-cat (Cheerios); if a coupon is found for that sub-cat, I'd like the info to be copy/pasted into Shopping List. If there is no coupon, my Shopping List would just show Cheerios, but if there is a coupon then my Shopping List would show Cheerios, and the coupon info ($.50 off 1). I've got the basic outline of my spreadsheet on my Google Docs page at https://spreadsheets.google.co…CaU1TaUw2a3g1SGc&hl=en_US if you like to see it. I'm having trouble with: 1) getting the checkbox (onclick?) to copy the sub-cat to Shopping List and 2) having Shopping List scan Coupons for the sub-cat name and paste the info found into Shopping List. I might could figure the coupon part out if I tried long enough, but I don't have a clue how to do the checkbox one. Help? Thank you for taking the time to read this, I know I'm long-winded ... ~Ky Wow, I can't seem to make carriage returns stick, this is gonna be hard to read ...

• Re: When checkbox is clicked, auto insert item into another ws

I've posted this question in a few other forums over the last week, but I've received no answers, so am hoping y'all might be able to help out.

Thanks for letting us know about the cross posting, however, the rule is that you must provide a link to all other forums where you've cross posted the question.

Please update your thread or make a new reply with the links.

What you are seeking to achieve requires VBA code.
    Not sure about others on the forum, but I've no experience with Google spreadsheets and I'm pretty sure they do no support VBA.
    Are you able to do this in Excel and provide a sample workbook?

Wow, I can't seem to make carriage returns stick, this is gonna be hard to read

The board has been experiencing formatting issues for the past week and it's being worked on.