Show Cell Text In Binary

• I would describe this as more modestly convenient than cool. It lists the text of a cell (the first 200 characters) in binary so you can see those annoying non-breaking spaces (160), carriage returns (013), tabs (009), and other characters that bedevil lookups and other functions. I keep this in my Personal.xls with a Ctrl+Shift+B (think Conveniently Show Binary) shortcut.

[SIZE=1]Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate.[/SIZE]

• Re: Show Cell Text In Binary

Maybe iCountCharactersInString_sInp :)

Code
    1. For i = 1 To Len(sInp)

Do you mean why do I use i instead of l for longs? Long habit -- I don't like the appearance of the leading l in variable names, and don't otherwise use integers except in large-ish arrays. I also use n to indicate a number (count) of items, e.g,

Code
    1. For iRow = 1 to nRow

Just habit ...

Fair Enough. It just caught my eye, looked a little odd. Yeah I know what you mean by the appearance of the l its weird as well.

I try and avoid one letter variables now and try to stick with the below format and always follow with a descriptive name.

b Byte
    bo Boolean
    i Integer
    l Long
    s Single
    d Double
    c Currency
    de Decimal
    da Date
    o Object
    st String
    v Variant

But still manage to break my own rules every now and then. ;)

At the end of the day if you can read your code 2 years after you wrote it then you probably have a good naming system.

You changed your icon, and it's too small to see! Scale up that skimpy flag!

I use s for strings and f (as in 'float') for singles. I use dat for Dates, but think I will switch to your da.

Have you ever had occasion to use Decimals, and if so, how about an example in the chat forum?

Quote from shg

You changed your icon, and it's too small to see! Scale up that skimpy flag!

Yeah its a pain but Its the standard one, I dont know how to scale it up! :(

Quote from shg

I use s for strings and f (as in 'float') for singles.

Thats aint a bad idea.

Quote from shg

Have you ever had occasion to use Decimals, and if so, how about an example in the chat forum?

I think so, but i cant remember what for!!

LOL! You Kiwis are in a small country with a small population and a small flag........at least on Ozgrid :)

I would describe this as more modestly convenient than cool.

It's both "convenient" and "cool", IMO, thanks.