Summing Adding Many Time Cells

• I have a spreadsheet with many rows of time totals as the following example

Cell 1 - 08:00 AM Cell 2 - 1:00 PM Cell 3 - 5:00

Cell 3 is just the total, and I have no problem with this aspect... However I have two columns of the above format side by side... and the only way I can sum Cell 3 on both columns is something like the following:

=sum(c1+c2+c3+f1+f2+f3...etcetcetc...

This can end up in a large formula, and I was just wondering if there was a more efficent way? I tried the following but get a #value! error.

=SUM(C1:C6)+(G1:G6)

• Re: Summing Adding Many Time Cells

That code seems to work to some degree... but on the spreadsheet I'm using at work, with the following code, it gives me a result of 44 something hours and when I calculated it manually, it was more like 41 something hours. It always seems to add a little on to the result.

The code I've used is the one like this: =Sum(C1:C6,G1:G6)

Any idea what could be causing it?

I think you will win a large prize if it's an Excel error. Can you post your workbook so we can tell you what you've won?

[SIZE=1]Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate.[/SIZE]

That could get me into trouble with my job, so no, hehe!

I tried making a basic sample at home but the code seemed to work fine and return the correct amount... albeit the spreadsheet at work has more data and more differentials in the inputs. But as far as I can tell, the sample reflects the same procedures and formats in the spreadsheet I use at work.

edit:

I have been messing around with my sample sheet, and instead of having all the totals as 5 hours: I changed it to the following... Hope this makes sense, but this is what I have on Excel:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/5047…4-adbb-94d6f45c1c99/Book1

One of the cells has this code.

=SUM(C1:C6,F1:F6)

This gives me a total of "36:25", but when I calculate it manually, I get "35.45"... So again, I keep getting a total slightly lower than the formula when I calculate it manually.

I get 36:25 by either method.

You are right, I just calculated it the second time and got a match... I know what I did wrong, now I need to check the other spreadsheet at work tommorrow to make sure I'm not making the same mistake there

Doh

Doh

We've all been there ...