Copying formulas

• Hi,

I want to make excel work as my income and expenditure register. I have one debit column, one credit column and one balance column. The opening balance is say, $140. It looks like :-

Col A Col B Col C
    Debit Credit Balance
    0 0 140

My problem is if I write a simple function like

Code
    1. =sum(c1+b1)-a1

and then drag the above function using autofill, values get displayed in the columns I have not entered anything. For ex, say If I have dragged using auto fill to C24, the balance value shows 140 all through C2 to C24 even though I have not entered anything in A2:A24 or B2:B24.

Hence what I want is though I will copy the function using autofill only the function should get copied and nothing will show in the cells. Result should get displayed only when I enter some value in the debit or credit cell of that row.

Please Help. If you want I can attach an excel file elaborating the above.

Thanks

• Re: Copying formulas

Welcome to the forum!

If you are wanting to fill down with the formula you can use;

Code
    1. =IF(OR($C1="",$B1=""),"",($C1+$B1)-$A1)

There are other conditions that you can add but this is a simple example. Also, if your values are staying the same when you autofill, it sounds like you have your calculation set to manual and you would use SHIFT+F9 to calculate the current sheet.

• Re: Copying formulas

This is not solving my problem...please understand that I want to autofill but only the formulas should get copied but no records should be seen..only when I fill the debit or credit column the resultant balance should show.

I'm attaching a file so that you can solve it.

Thanks

Files

• Prob.xls

(13.82 kB, downloaded 91 times, last: )