Link Table Suddenly Stopped Allowing New Records

• I am currently processing a dog show and with several people entering up to 7 dogs (I'm anticipating at least 500 in total) I used Excel 2003 to create 75 fields for all the required information. Handler information requires 5 fields and each dog entered requires 10. Because of the number of fields on the worksheet I was unable to use 'form' to input the data so I created a link table in Access then designed a simple form to use. All has been going well and I was able to add a new record using the form I designed. Suddenly this morning I was unable to add a new record using the form but was able to enter the data using the Excel worksheet.
    My experience of databases I would say is basic and self taught. I've learnt by trial and error, but it is now 2 in the morning and I've been trying to solve the problem for over 14 hours now.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Regards, Val

• Re: Link Table Suddenly Stopped Allowing New Records

Welcome to OZ!

There might be a few causes but we really need more informaiton. Are you getting any error messages when you try to add a new record? Have you checked for any constraints that you may have placed in the database that is not allowing a new record?

Thank you for your response. With regard to constraints. I have checked, and forgive me if I've got this wrong, the control properties are all set to allow edits etc and I haven't set a limit number for records allowed. On Saturday I did receive an error message about not being able to save, however when I checked, everything was as it should be. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact wording of the error message, but I do know at the time I was working with a copy of the original Excel spreadsheet, saved in a different folder. If I could just explain that I have to produce a booking in sheet, score sheet, and running order cards [which are sent out to the competitors] and all must have the right running order number next to the correct dog. This is the first time I have attempted linking cells so I have several copies of the original in order to experiment and check that things are going to plan.

I have tried starting another linked table from scratch and I still can't add new records in Access. The record new record button is faded in form view, and in table view the new record lettering is also faded. Hope that makes sense. For the time being I have decided to use 'import' instead which is allowing new records to be added, although of course the information isn't transferred to the Excel file. This isn't actually posing a problem, but of course it would be nice to know where I'm going wrong on linked tables.

Many thanks, Val

If you are running Access 2000 or 2003 and have run all the current updates and patches from microsoft, you can no longer edit a linked table. According to microsoft, this was done intentionally due to legal issues.

See the following: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904953/

How ironic. After my second posting on this board I remembered that when I switched my computer off on Sunday, updates were downloaded to my computer. I have it set to automatically download from Microsoft and they are usually installed just before the machine shuts down.
    Thank you for your assistance.
    Regards, Val