Thank You and goodbye

• Hi all,

This is my last post here in my corner of the Excel-world. In the end of last year I decided that I would make a ‘reboot’ when it comes to the time I put into ‘the world of softwares’. It’s not easy since it will mean that I will start from scratch and become a newbie again. Well, perhaps not as a real newbie as I have my experience with Excel et al with me.

I’m very pleased to see how well OzGrid has developed since its start for 3 years ago. At that time we didn’t know what the outcome would be but today we know that OzGrid has become an important spot in the virtual global Excel community. The best part is not the number of members or the number of post it’s too see how some members (and close friends) have grown a lot when it comes to knowledge and skillfulness with Excel. It’s a real pleasure for me and I feel lucky that I’ve been around here to take part of that progress.

Yesterday the first shipment of two arrived to me. The package contained 8 books and the next shipment will include additional 6 books. One thing that still amazes me is the fact that the books usually cover more then 1000 pages. It means that I will spend the next coming months with reading and trying to learn new things. Actually, I have scheduled to spend the whole 2006 with reading, thinking, trying and exploring.

What will I actually do? Well, I will try to catch up with the rapid development when it comes to the .NET platform. I think that the .NET rocks and with the recent release of version 2005 it has become even better. I will also explore and learn more about VSTO, which a close friend to me recently started to, call VBA.NET. It’s important to accept that it will take some time to understand the .NET platform and all the possibilities it offer. Personally I find it quite exciting to start with something new. I’ve also decided to challenge and see if I’m capable of learning C#. This is the #1 developing language on the .NET platform and it will probably be the leading tool for many years ahead. Most of You who read this probably assume that .NET is all about MSFT. That’s not true and if You’re curious I suggest that You take part of Borland Delphi at the following URL: http://www.borland.com/us/products/delphi/index.html

I take this opportunity to thank Dave and the team for a pleasant and interesting time and I wish You all the best with the forum.

Finally, I thank You all for reading my post here in the corner. After all, it’s a privilege to see that other people read what I actually post. Without You it wouldn’t been the same!

Keep Excelling but don’t forget to give Yourself breaks to take part of the real life as well.

• Re: Thank You and goodbye

Thank Dennis.

See you at your new "Office" :)

The best part is not the number of members or the number of post it’s too see how some members (and close friends) have grown a lot when it comes to knowledge and skillfulness with Excel. It’s a real pleasure for me and I feel lucky that I’ve been around here to take part of that progress.

You have certainly played a large part in my progress. For that I thank you in the knowledge that over the years & despite some "frank discussions" ;) at times, we have also forged a very strong friendship.

I could not agree more. I was always fairly good at Excel. But since I discovered this forum and started reading on my own time, I would honestly say that my Excel knowledge has tripled or better. There was a time that I could not spell VLOOKUP (well, I AM an IDIOT!), and now, not only can I spell it, but I use this function (along with many others) and better yet.... I can nest multiple functions.

I would honestly be lost without OZ. Dennis we will miss you. You have been a great asset to the forum, and to all the members. We wish you luck. And if you have any plans to get rid of any old Excel Books, CALL ME!

I didn't mean he would be back to answer questions, but to visit. I still visit forums I am inactive in, though was very active in up to seven years ago.

It's the people that make a place, not the place itself. One might not miss the place, but will miss people.

Quote from Will Riley

:roll: Don't think so. Excel on it's own is no longer challenging.

I cannot imagine ever being able to say this statement and actually mean it! But in addition to the massive amounts of knowledge that I have gained, I have made some awesome friends. I bow to the Excel Masters! Dennis, perhaps you will consider "popping in" from time to time to let us know how you are doing with your new challenge. :ole:

I meant that for someone of Dennis' experience, Excel on it's own is no longer a challenge. Of course for us mere mortals it still holds plenty of opportunity to learn :)

Not good bye
    But so long and see ya on the flip side :guitar: :thanx:

Jim
    "The problem with designing vba code completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

Sorry to see you go Dennis. The Excel world loses but the .net world gains!

Thank you Dennis for your continued support of ozgrid and your thousands of HIGH quality posts! Hopefully, as Jim points out, it's not goodbye and hopefully we will see ya on the flip-side.

Thank you also for teaching me even MORE about Excel and VBA than I ever thought possible!

Take care mate and keep in touch.