"Copying" cell format in VBA

• Hi,

I instruct VBA to insert a value from a cell (say 1,1) to another one (say 1, 3) using this notation:

Code
    1. Cells(1, 3).Value = Cells(1, 1).Value

This works without problems. However, I would also like to copy cell format (all kinds - font, background colour and pattern, borderlines, etc.) with something like this:

Code
    1. Cells(1, 3).Format = Cells(1, 1).Format

This does not work. How can I do it, please? I'd rather avoid using copy and paste format, as it slows down the programme.

Thanks for help!

Jiri

• Re: "Copying" cell format in VBA

hi Jiri,

why not copy the cell directly?
    try:

Code
    1. Cells(1, 3).Copy Cells(1, 1)

Cheers

I agree with xlite, the shortcut would be to just copy the cell (don't worry about a formula coming over) and then set the cell equal to the value you want.

Code
    1. Cells(1, 3).Copy Cells(1, 1)
    2. Cells(1, 1).Value = Cells(1, 3).Value

However, I kinda suspect you were just providing us with an oversimplified example to ask the question. If you just want to copy formats from one range to another it looks like this...

Code
    1. Cells(1, 3).Copy
    2. Cells(1, 1).PasteSpecial (xlPasteFormats)
    3. Application.CutCopyMode = False

[SIZE="1"]Sub All_Macros(Optional control As Variant)[/SIZE]

I was just going to ask a question along similar lines, so please permit me to jump in here ...

I am replicating data across Rows for each Employee & have used Cut & Paste, but I have lost all my Column widths so therefore have "#####" all over the place.

Now I immediately noticed that novakj says C&P slows the program down, but then looking at xlite's then Aaron Blood's replies it looks like you are copying format information but not actual data.

Can I use this method to do both ?

Basically, I suppose I am asking how to replace the following code, which copies data but not width information :

Code
    1. For EmployLoop = 1 To LastEmp
    2. Range("E1", "I" & LastEnh).Copy
    3. ActiveCell.PasteSpecial
    4. ActiveCell.Offset(0, 5).Activate
    5. Range("K1", "O" & LastEnh).Copy
    6. ActiveCell.PasteSpecial
    7. ActiveCell.Offset(0, 5).Activate
    8. Next EmployLoop

Any help much appreciated ...

Well I can start a new thread if you really want, but my question is exactly the same as novakj's & I didn't want loads of "Cross Post" messages !!!

When I copy data from one range (E1:I99) to a new range (P:1), the data is copied but the formatting, in particular the Width, is lost ...

Quote from vodkasoda

Well I can start a new thread if you really want, but my question is exactly the same as novakj's & I didn't want loads of "Cross Post" messages !!!

No it's not. :)

And starting a new thread isn't considered cross posting.

Cross posting is when you post a question in another forum.

Quote from norie

No it's not. :)

And starting a new thread isn't considered cross posting.

Cross posting is when you post a question in another forum.

Then please accept my apologies, I will start a new thread ...