What book would you recommend?

• OK so you're not that bad at VBA.

You've got many years of "basic", self taught, computer programming in Basic, C++, Fortran etc

You're boss is very impressed with the recent Macros you've managed to write (with help from this Forum)

And now you want to branch out.

I need guidance, firstly where can I get a good book on programming architecture/methodology? I know I can buy hundreds of books on how to program in C, C++, VBA etc but where are the books that teach you how to structure your program? how to perform a "bubble sort" etc, what is good and bad methodology, is it ever acceptable to use 'goto'?

The second is with VBA, from working through the recent macros I have written, I find that my biggest weakness is working with unknown ranges. For example most of my macros are based around stock lists that vary in length by day, let alone by week, so I cannot say select A1 to Z555 as tomorrow it may be A1 to Z1000.

Any advice as what books I should purchase to cover the above topics would be greatly appreciatted, if they were available in the UK that would be even better.

Thanx in advance

• Re: What book would you recommend?

Quote from Gethzerion

I need guidance, firstly where can I get a good book on programming architecture/methodology? I know I can buy hundreds of books on how to program in C, C++, VBA etc but where are the books that teach you how to structure your program? how to perform a "bubble sort" etc, what is good and bad methodology, is it ever acceptable to use 'goto'?

John Walkenbach gives much of this kind of advice in his book Excel 2000/2002 Power Programming. In fact, he shows the process of how to plan a "bubble sort" (pp. 241-254) and the no-no's of good vs. bad programming (variable use, pp. 188-191; structured programming, p. 213, etc.).

The second is with VBA, from working through the recent macros I have written, I find that my biggest weakness is working with unknown ranges. For example most of my macros are based around stock lists that vary in length by day, let alone by week, so I cannot say select A1 to Z555 as tomorrow it may be A1 to Z1000.

Any advice as what books I should purchase to cover the above topics would be greatly appreciatted, if they were available in the UK that would be even better.

I have recently begun using VBA and Macros for MS Excel by Bill Jelen (Mr. Excel) and Tracy Syrstad. I have learned much in the past two weeks just reading through some of these sections. I am finally getting the idea of R1C1 and its advantages, especially in programming.

Software: OpenOffice 3.0/NeoOffice 3.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.6
    Humanware: Older than dirt

Old, slow, and confused - but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3.28.2008)