I am trying to develop a workbook for students to practice basic number facts.
So far I have:
- an option for students to practice addition, subtraction, addition AND subtraction, multiplication, division, multiplication AND division - see cell A2
- an option to set the maximum number used in the questions from 1 to 24 - see cell D2
- an option to set the minimum number used in the questions from 1 to 12 - see cell D4 OR to select ONE number to practice questions that always include that number (eg just practice multiplication by 4) - see cell D5
- Generated random practice questions based on the options above.
It also makes sure every subtraction question has a positive answer and
every division question has a positive whole number answer.
- I have attached the file as far as I have got (I appreciate that this is a work in progress and the final workbook would have a much better layout and appearance.
At the moment columns A-E would be visible to the students and F onwards would be hidden (they contain the formulae needed to generate the random questions)
The question for the student appears in A7 and the student would type their answer in cell B7
THE PROBLEMS I HAVE!
At the moment, the workbook recalculates when <enter> is pressed (or any of the other events that trigger a recalculation)
The result is that I cannot indicate to the student if they got the answer correct because as soon as they enter their answer in B7, it forces a new question in A7 and so my check answer in cell F7 is the answer to what WAS there before the student presses <enter> in cell B7
WHAT I WOULD LIKE!
- Once the student enters there answer, there is an indication to the student whether they got it correct or not
- There is a section that keeps track of how many questions they got correct and how many they got wrong
- There is an option for the students to either:
* set the number of questions to 10, 20 or 30 questions (and stops creating new questions when this number occurs and provides a summary showing # of questions done, # correct and # incorrect)
It would be great if a new question appears automatically after they finish a question (and the answer is marked)
* has a one minute time limit and the students need to finish as many questions as they can in the minute.
A new question appears automatically after they finish a question
When the minute is up it provides a summary of # of questions done, # correct and # incorrect
I'm thinking that once all the options are selected, there would be a START button
(and maybe an STOP TEST button to manually stop the process)
TROUBLE IS ...
I know only how to record simple macros and assign them to buttons.
I have no idea of VBA coding which I believe would be needed.
I just don't know if this is too much work to expect a volunteer to do
Any help/guidance would be very much appreciated and would really help my students practice their number facts