Student maths practice - check answers, count #correct and more

• I am trying to develop a workbook for students to practice basic number facts.
    So far I have:

• an option for students to practice addition, subtraction, addition AND subtraction, multiplication, division, multiplication AND division - see cell A2
    • an option to set the maximum number used in the questions from 1 to 24 - see cell D2
    • an option to set the minimum number used in the questions from 1 to 12 - see cell D4 OR to select ONE number to practice questions that always include that number (eg just practice multiplication by 4) - see cell D5
    • Generated random practice questions based on the options above.
      It also makes sure every subtraction question has a positive answer and
      every division question has a positive whole number answer.
    • I have attached the file as far as I have got (I appreciate that this is a work in progress and the final workbook would have a much better layout and appearance.

At the moment columns A-E would be visible to the students and F onwards would be hidden (they contain the formulae needed to generate the random questions)
    The question for the student appears in A7 and the student would type their answer in cell B7

THE PROBLEMS I HAVE!

At the moment, the workbook recalculates when <enter> is pressed (or any of the other events that trigger a recalculation)
    The result is that I cannot indicate to the student if they got the answer correct because as soon as they enter their answer in B7, it forces a new question in A7 and so my check answer in cell F7 is the answer to what WAS there before the student presses <enter> in cell B7

WHAT I WOULD LIKE!

• Once the student enters there answer, there is an indication to the student whether they got it correct or not
    • There is a section that keeps track of how many questions they got correct and how many they got wrong
    • There is an option for the students to either:
      * set the number of questions to 10, 20 or 30 questions (and stops creating new questions when this number occurs and provides a summary showing # of questions done, # correct and # incorrect)
      It would be great if a new question appears automatically after they finish a question (and the answer is marked)
      ... OR
      * has a one minute time limit and the students need to finish as many questions as they can in the minute.
      A new question appears automatically after they finish a question
      When the minute is up it provides a summary of # of questions done, # correct and # incorrect

I'm thinking that once all the options are selected, there would be a START button
      (and maybe an STOP TEST button to manually stop the process)

TROUBLE IS ...

I know only how to record simple macros and assign them to buttons.
    I have no idea of VBA coding which I believe would be needed.

I just don't know if this is too much work to expect a volunteer to do
    Any help/guidance would be very much appreciated and would really help my students practice their number facts

• Re: Student maths practice - check answers, count #correct and more

Hello,

As an initial step, what should be visible to the student taking the Test ...?

If you feel like saying "Thank You" for the help received, do not hesitate to click the "Like" icon ...just below...in the bottom right corner...:)

Hello again,

Have revisited your file ...

Please find attached a first proposal ...

Hope this will help

Man ... that is an awesome start!!!!!!! Thank you so much for what you have done so far - VERY much appreciated

I came across a few issues:

• In B11 (the question cell). For a number of subtraction examples, once I entered an answer, B11 would show a date format (eg 4-Jul)
    • For subtraction, every problem must have a zero or positive number for the answer (so the first number of the problem must be equal to or greater than the second number)
    • For division, every problem must have a whole number answer (so the first number of the problem must be a multiple - no greater than the maximum number selected - of the second number
    • When the "Next Question for you" is clicked, B3 becomes the active cell rather than C11 becoming the active cell
      In addition to that, is it possible - once the student presses <Enter> for there answer - for the active cell to be B9/B10? So that the students don't have to move their mouse to that button - they can just left click the mouse?
    • If E5 and E6 both have numbers in them, the questions always contain the constant number from E6 (E6 always takes priority over E5). Is it even possible to ensure that a number can appear in one of the two cells only - not both at the same time?
    • One of the things that the students will exploit is the following:
      If the student doesn't like the question, they could just keep clicking on the "Next Question" until they get one that is easy. So they would enter their answer and it would get recorded as correct. ie the students will "game" the system to get 100% correct every time just by by-passing questions they don't know.
      So is it possible to force an answer in C11 before another question can be generated?

Absolutely tremendous look and feel though - I'm pretty stoked at what you have done!!
    THANK YOU

Glad to hear this could help you a little bit ....

Please keep in mind you can obviously Unhide the Columns and modify as needed all your random formulas to fix the various issues ...

Basically, my attempt was only to make things comprehensible for the Student .....

I haven't touched your sophisticated random formulas ... :wink:

Cheers

:smile:

If you feel like saying "Thank You" for the help received, do not hesitate to click the "Like" icon ...just below...in the bottom right corner...:)

Aaaah - I didn't realise that
    I thought you must have written new code
    The workbook you posted has formulae missing in what were in cells:
    H8 / H9
    I8 / I9 / I10 / I12 / I14

I will try to reinstate them but I need to check all the cell references in them as some elements have been moved in your workbook

THANK YOU - I probably won't be able to work on it for the next couple of days - I'm away doing sports photography for the weekend

Hello again,

The code is only for the behaviour ... and the looks ... :wink:

You are left with all the smart things : random formulas, make sure numerator is bigger than denominator , etc ... (even forgot the names of these things ...)

However, as you progress ... if you are facing difficulties, do not hesitate to come back ...

Cheers

I DEFINITELY will be doing this - see post above
    I will be away from home for the next coupe of days

I have now included the missing formulae and the problems are being generated as I wanted
    I have attached the file

However: In B11 (the question cell). whenever there is a subtraction problem, once I entered an answer, B11 shows a date format (eg 4-Jul)
    I tried Format>Cells and it is set as a custom format and no matter what I change it to, it always displays a date once the answer is entered

Would any of these be possible?

• If E5 and E6 both have numbers in them, the questions always contain the constant number from E6 (E6 always takes priority over E5). Is it even possible to ensure that a number can appear in one of the two cells only - not both at the same time?
    • One of the things that the students will exploit is the following:
      If the student doesn't like the question, they could just keep clicking on the "Next Question" until they get one that is easy. So they would enter their answer and it would get recorded as correct. ie the students will "game" the system to get 100% correct every time just by by-passing questions they don't know.
      So is it possible to force an answer in C11 before another question can be generated?
    • When the "Next Question for you" is clicked, B3 becomes the active cell rather than C11 becoming the active cell
      In addition to that, is it possible - once the student presses <Enter> for there answer - for the active cell to be B9/B10? So that the students don't have to move their mouse to that button - they can just left click the mouse?

The other features I would love:

• There is an option for the students to either:
      * set the number of questions to 10, 20 or 30 questions (and stops creating new questions when this number occurs and provides a summary showing # of questions done, # correct and # incorrect)
      It would be great if a new question appears automatically after they finish a question (and the answer is marked)

... OR

* has a one minute time limit and the students need to finish as many questions as they can in the minute.
      A new question appears automatically after they finish a question
      When the minute is up it provides a summary of # of questions done, # correct and # incorrect

Hello,

Attached is a slightly improved version .... :wink:

Feel free to test and comment ...

P.S. will have to incorporate the modifications you have added in your version ...

That is brilliant - THANK YOU
    Love the 2 sec display before automatically showing the next problem.
    Great that the answer cell is active once a new problem is generated

Found a couple of issues:

• The version you are using has missing formulae - so some of the subtraction questions have negative answers and division problems have fraction answers. I included the missing formulae in Version 2-2
      If the code could be added to that one it would be great
    • If I go to change the operation (eg from Multiplication to Addition), I have to answer the current Multiplication problem before I get an Addition problem. Not sure if it will be a problem in real-life if a "Stop" button was included?

REALLY APPRECIATE your time and expertise - very generous of you.
    I'm excited about the progress in such a short time - this is really going to help my students

Hello again,

As soon as I have a moment ....

As a first step, will merge all your new formulas shown in V2-2 into a V2-3 file ... :wink:

As a second step, will try to fix pending issues you have spotted ...

Cheers

Thank you - as I said I will be away tomorrow and the next day
    You have already been very generous :yourock:

Hello again,

Attached is the Version V2-3 ...

In order to keep track of all Pending issues, during the test period ... have added a recap sheet ... where you can add your comments ...

Enjoy your Week-End :smile:

Hello,

Attached is the updated Version V2-4 ... :wink:

Hope all major issues are now fixed ...

Feel free to comment .... and, also,

please expand on what you are expecting regarding the topic of 'Tracking' results ...

Have a great day

Hello Again ...

The ONLY question ... is ....

Is there some kind of a deadline ...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

since you gonna end up with 'a professional excel program' ....!!!

Edit: by the way ... the yellow Toggle button is for you to decide which display you would go for ...

I don't have a set deadline - when it gets done.
    And I have NO DOUBT it will be an "awesome professional excel program" :rock: brought to realisation by an Excel Master!:ole:

Would be nice within the next three months so I can trial with classes in November (in Australia school finishes up mid-December)

PLEASE don't feel under any pressure to work on this asap - I am TOTALLY grateful for the time and effort you have already put in.
    I would be over the moon if you were able to work on it WHEN YOU HAVE THE TIME AND INCLINATION.

So if you want to take a break, put your feet up and drink a few beverages of your choice then that's what has to happen.

Okey-Dokey ...:dance:

Will try to include all your pending requests ... in the next 'installment' ...:wink:

Quote from Carim;799040

Okey-Dokey ...:dance:

Will try to include all your pending requests ... in the next 'installment' ...:wink:

Thank you
    When you have the time and inclination
    You are a legend!:thanx: