Index / Match + Sort / Filter Issue

• Hi

I have built a spreadsheet with a large data table using Index / Match formulas eg =INDEX(Workings!$GC$10:$GC$50,MATCH($C46,Workings!$R$10:$R$50,0),FALSE)

When I try to sort the table the formulas do not follow and the table is wrong. Any ideas how I can fix this so that I can sort the data?

Thanks

• Re: Index / Match + Sort / Filter Issue

Copy and paste the values to a new sheet and do your sorting and filtering there: formulae and sorting don't mix.

Ali :)

Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel who's always learning!
    If anyone has helped you towards solving a problem, then you can thank them by clicking on the like icon bottom right.

:!:Forum Rules

Quote from AliGW;779973

Copy and paste the values to a new sheet and do your sorting and filtering there: formulae and sorting don't mix.

Unfortunately I can't do that. I need the table to be able to be sorted with the formulae intact. Is this possible?

I don't think so, certainly not without VBA code. You will have to wait for one of the coding experts to comment.

Ali :)

Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel who's always learning!
    If anyone has helped you towards solving a problem, then you can thank them by clicking on the like icon bottom right.

:!:Forum Rules

Did you notice that the range in the Match function is not absoluted for the rows... ie.. they are missing the $ before the row indicators...

Workings!$R10:$R50 s/b Workings!$R$10:$R$50

That may mess things up...

Where there is a will there are many ways. Finding one that works for you is the challenge!

Quote from NBVC;779982

Did you notice that the range in the Match function is not absoluted for the rows... ie.. they are missing the $ before the row indicators...

Workings!$R10:$R50 s/b Workings!$R$10:$R$50

That may mess things up...

Sorry, in the actual formula it is correct. I typed the formula out and forgot to add the absolute. Will edit the original post.

Are you able to attach your workbook, if there is no confidential info.

I don't see why you should not be able to filter/sort and keep the data using that formula..

Where there is a will there are many ways. Finding one that works for you is the challenge!

I believe I've figured out the cause for the sorting issue.

When the Match lookupvalue references a sheet name, the lookup sticks to the cell as if it were an absolute. ie a formula showing "MATCH('Summary'!$B13" has issues while "MATCH($B13" does not have sorting issues.

Does this make sense? Is this logic correct?

Yes, that makes sense and is true, but your original formula didn't show that.... so it was not mentioned.

Quote from NBVC;779998

Yes, that makes sense and is true, but your original formula didn't show that.... so it was not mentioned.

Yes you're right. Thanks very much.