Count frequency of exact text string. Exact text and character count need to match

• Hi guys,

Always managed to find my answers on here by searching but this one seems to have eluded me.

I am counting the frequency of specific text strings using a wildcard but the problem is my count is overstated due to the formula picking other text string that start with the same naming convention.

In the scenario below I need the count to return 1 with "Planning" as my criteria. Unfortunately though, any formula I use returns a count of 4 and I cannot find a combination of formulas to return the "exact" text string only and not just if it forms part of another string. I have tried everything and am totally stuck. I have tried a combination of sum and len and various countif/(s) with a text wildcard but can't get anything to work.

[TABLE="width: 172"]

[tr]

[TD="class: xl65, width: 229, bgcolor: transparent, align: left"]Criteria
    [/TD]

[/tr]

[tr]

[TD="class: xl66, bgcolor: transparent, align: left"]Planning
    [/TD]

[/tr]

[tr]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"][/TD]

[/tr]

[tr]

[TD="class: xl65, bgcolor: transparent, align: left"]Range
    [/TD]

[/tr]

[tr]

[TD="class: xl66, bgcolor: transparent, align: left"]Planning
    [/TD]

[/tr]

[tr]

[TD="class: xl66, bgcolor: transparent, align: left"]Planning 1
    [/TD]

[/tr]

[tr]

[TD="class: xl66, bgcolor: transparent, align: left"]Planning 2
    [/TD]

[/tr]

[tr]

[TD="class: xl66, bgcolor: transparent, align: left"]Planning Permission
    [/TD]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

James

• Re: Count frequency of exact text string. Exact text and character count need to matc

Not sure I get it... Why bother with a wild card at all if you are looking for an EXACT match?

when I used:
    =COUNTIF(C1:C4,A1)

I get 1....

You cant use a wild card and search for an exact match... you cant have it both ways (with one formula anyway)

Ger

Check out our new reputation system. Click on the Like button under the post!

[SIZE=8px]There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that dont.

Why are Halloween and Christmas the same? Because Oct 31 = Dec 25...

The BEST Lookup function of all time

Dynamic Named Ranges are your bestest friend[/SIZE]