Recent Workbooks - when last saved?

• I'm looking for a way to see when the workbook in "Recent Workbooks" (File - Open - list of recent workbooks) was last saved.

I have a few workbooks that are updated not daily, but with great frequency, and I'm wondering if there is a way to make sure I open the one with the latest date. These workbooks rotate around on a shared drive, and it's possible that two people can be making changes if one saves it after downloading to their maching and then uploading again to the server. While I realize this is a totally different problem (for which I tend to use workbook compare), I'm wondering if there is a way to make Excel display the "Date Modified" portion on the Recent Workbooks page.

My google search came up empty. And it's entirely possible that MS didn't include this feature, but it would be super helpful to me.

Thanks!

• Re: Recent Workbooks - when last saved?

Quote from mohammedismail;751054

You can see the Excel file properties to check when it was last modified/accessed ?

Do you mean open one file, check the properties? I was trying to avoid opening all of them, just wanted to open the most recently updated one.

If you didn't mean that, I don't think I understand. I don't see how to see the properties from the "File - Open" screen. Right clicking only gives the following options:
    Open/Open a Copy/Copy path to clipboard/Pin to list/Remove from List/Clear Unpinned Workbooks

I'm not sure what you are asking is available in Excel but What probably you can do is, in the folder where you have files saved, arrange the files based on Last modified so that the last edited file will be the first/Last file. Does that make sense ?

Quote from mohammedismail;751067

I'm not sure what you are asking is available in Excel but What probably you can do is, in the folder where you have files saved, arrange the files based on Last modified so that the last edited file will be the first/Last file. Does that make sense ?

I understand what you are saying, but different ones are housed in various folders, so that won't necessarily help.

But thank you for responding! Like I said, it may not actually be possible in Excel, but I was trying to see if there was a solution out there that I was missing. :)

You're right - it's not natively possible in Exce, but there is code on the board which will retrun a list of files in Folders (and Subfolders if needed). That list can then be added to a worksheet (for example, it's the easiest option), the date/time last modified added and then sorted by date ascending/descending...

If you can be a little more specific about what you want, it may be possible to work this.

Quote from cytop;751082

You're right - it's not natively possible in Exce, but there is code on the board which will retrun a list of files in Folders (and Subfolders if needed). That list can then be added to a worksheet (for example, it's the easiest option), the date/time last modified added and then sorted by date ascending/descending...

If you can be a little more specific about what you want, it may be possible to work this.

That gives me an idea - if MS has a specific folder where they keep pointers to the "recent workbooks" on the list. Hmm, I will see what I can find. Thanks!