Stacked Timeline Chart, X axis showing dates.

• Hello,

I have a project which is passed from one department to another and sometimes back again. The goal is to produce a graphical representation of this, similar to a gannt chart however it would need to be a single bar, with the X axis representing dates in a calendar year, and the Y axis representing the project (i.e. Project A). The bar needs to be stacked and colour coded so that the legend reflects the department to which the project was with at that given time. A department can be responsible for the project more than once so the ability to display this chronologically is imperative.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Joe3ym4k.

• Re: Stacked Timeline Chart, X axis showing dates.

Hi Joe3ym4k,

To do this with only 2 series, I would recommend using an Area chart actually. The area could mimic a bar chart by following a pattern of rising straight up, being filled at constant level for a duration, then falling straight down. See attached for an example. I'm not sure what you current data looks like, so you will probably have to manipulate it somehow.

Files

Best Regards,
    Luke M
    =======
    "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

• Re: Stacked Timeline Chart, X axis showing dates.

The theory would be the same. One series will get turned "on" for a time period, the others would be turned "off". If you could provide an example workbook, showing what you data looks like, that would also help us design something customized for your layout.

Best Regards,
    Luke M
    =======
    "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."