Filter column based on reference criteria

• Hi everyone, I'm putting together a larger macro but need help with the first step...hoping you can provide some guidance :)

Here is some code, instead of Criteria being the specific Name ie Criteria1:= "Rodgers, Aaron", I'd like it to reference a Names tab. So it would select the first name on Names tab, copy the selection, and paste it into another tab. Thank you very much

• I don't understand your code what's all the selecting for? I doubt if it does what you want.

Explain fully what you are planning. It's OK you assuming that the steps you have in mind are correct, but there could be a simpler, more efficient way.

• Thank you for the response.

My overall plan is to filter Column A on 3 different tabs for the name referenced on a criteria tab, select the contents, paste into 3 new tabs, and save down a new workbook.

But I'm trying to break it into manageable steps for myself. So, I thought filtering 1 tab for Column A that references the first name found on Names tab would be a good first step.

• Here's a simple workbook. I'd like to filter Column A on Data1 based on the Names tab, paste into PasteData1 and do the same for Data2 - PasteData2 and Data3 - PasteData3, then save down a copy of the workbook with the name.xslx and loop to the next name.

To note, the three data tabs cannot be combined into 1, my actual workbook is more complicated.

• Why have you got 3 data tabs? All data should be on sheeet.

Why do you need to copy to another sheet, what is the next step? You can probably avid copy and pasting. do you intend making a new workbook for each unique name?

• I included just a very simple workbook, the three data tabs cannot be combined into 1, my actual workbook is more complicated.

I thought the 3 paste tabs might be easier, but like you say, likely makes more sense to filter the 3 data tabs. Once the 3 tabs are filtered based on the Names criteria tab, I'd like the workbook saved down with the Name.xlsx or Name.xlsm (whatever is easier) and then loop the same process for the next name...

• I have some code here:

How can I save the files as Name.xlsm? Does not seem to be working for me..I'd like the files saved in the same directory

• Try this

You could skip asking for a name by using the rngcriteria if that is the name you have filtered for

Code
    1. ''/// makes a copy of the sheet in a new workbook
    2. DestnSheets(i).Copy
    3. ''/// ask user for a name for the new workbook
    4. NewName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename
    5. If NewName <> False Then
    6. ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=rngCriteria, FileFormat:=51
    7. End If

Code
    1. ''/// makes a copy of the sheet in a new workbook
    2. DestnSheets(i).Copy
    3. ''/// ask user for a name for the new workbook
    4. NewName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename
    5. If NewName <> False Then
    6. ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=NewName, FileFormat:=51
    7. End If
  • Thank you! I'm just having one out of range error with the:

Code
    1. DestnSheets(i).Copy

Am I missing a step? Probably something obvious...

• Try the amended code

• I don't know what DestnSheets(i) is. When you get the error hover the cursor over that and see what the value is, it will show in intellisense.

What error message are you getting?

Maybe this

• I'm not sure I'm following ... I have 3 sheets I've copied to. I think this code was close except I need to replace this line somehow for it to save out the files as it filters through

Code
    1. 'Save the file here using the name in nme.value '??? How to save??? & ThisWorkbook.Path & Application.PathSeparator & nme.Value & ".xlsm"

• I don't think your code is helping.

Let me check

1. You have 3 sheets with names in

2. You need to filter each of those lists to create a new workbook with each name's data.

3. Are you needing data from each source sheet into the new workbook?

Let me know if I'm wrong and add anything I might have missed then I'll write some code using your sample workbook

• Awesome, I really appreciate your help. I have to filter each of the 3 Data tabs for each Name in the Name criteria tab, except I also need to either clear the contents after the filter that don't meet that criteria, or paste into another worksheet.

My actual workbook is a bit more complicated and I have references these worksheets so I need the cells to line up properly.

So process is:

1. You have 3 sheets with names in - Yes Names are all in Column A

2. You need to filter each of those lists to create a new workbook with each name's data. - Yes, but with just that Names criteria, so either cleared for other Names data or Pasted into PasteData tab

3. Are you needing data from each source sheet into the new workbook? - Yes, I'd like the full workbook saved down

Thank you again, let me know any other questions