changing currency of sheet from one cell

• Hi

I would like to choose a currency symbol from a dropdown in cell I8 in a worksheet and then have this change the currency in cells I13 to I33 (which already have a formula in them as they are a total of two other cells), can anyone help me with the code for this?

Thanks in advance

• Hi and Welcome to the Forum :smile:

Why don't you attach your workbook with your next message ...

It would allow any contributor to suggest a solution fully adapted to your specific situation ... :wink:

If you feel like saying "Thank You" for the help received, do not hesitate to click the "Like" icon ...just below...in the bottom right corner...:)

• Hi Carim

Apologies for the delay in replying. I have put the workbook on to show what i'm trying to do. I want to be able to change the currency in the currency box and then have all the totals below have that same symbol (no conversion it's just a change in symbol).

Thanks very much

• Hello Wendy,

Thanks a lot for your file ...

Attached is your Test file with a few changes ...

1. In the Column B of your Sheet2 , you do need to store updated exchange rates ...

2. In your Sheet1, assuming all your Unit Costs will be £ denominated, selecting a different currency ... does imply a calculation for converting to the local currency ...

as well as an automatic adjustment of the ' custom ' format ... which is done via an event macro ...

Hope explanation is clear enough ...

Take care
    :smile:

Files

If you feel like saying "Thank You" for the help received, do not hesitate to click the "Like" icon ...just below...in the bottom right corner...:)

• Hi Carim

Thanks for looking at this. I think I'm not explaining myself very well. I want to be able to choose a unit and a cost per unit from information i have in different currencies. For example i have 5 units at $10 each - I want to input those numbers and be able to choose i want those figures to show as being in dollars as opposed to having a GBP figure and needing to convert it. Then next time I might want to input the same figures but have them show as a GBP value. Did that make sense??

Thanks very much

• Hi again,

Based on the test file I just sent you ... would you mind filling in 5-6 lines of records ...with all your different cases .... to fully understand what you are looking for ... :wink:

• Hi Carim

Please see attached. So i would enter the figures in test 1 from information I have then I would save this file under a new name. Then I would enter the figures and want them to show as dollars on my original main blank sheet (ignore the fact that I have used the same figures, the numbers themselves don't matter) and then save this as another file. I just want to be able to select the currency from the dropdown and have that change the currency formatting on all the cells where numbers are being input (but without needing to physically change the formatting on the cells each time). Did that make sense? Sorry i'm not very good at explaining things.

Thanks

• Hi again,

Attached is your initial test file quickly adjusted ... in order to have the WHOLE worksheet showing the Currency Selected ... :smile:

P.S. Wendy ... Please have a quick look at your very first message ... :wink:

I would like to choose a currency symbol from a dropdown in cell I8 in a worksheet and then have this change the currency in cells I13 to I33

Files

• Glad you could fix your problem ...:wink:

Thanks ... for your Thanks ... AND for the Like ...:smile:

• Hi Carim

I'm so sorry to bother you again. I had a look at the code, I can't write code but it did make sense to me! I can't understand why the $ one won't work, it just stays as £ in the below columns. Is there something I can add in that would fix this?

Thanks again

• With which file do you have a problem ...???

Since ... just tested again your TestWendleB file ... and all three currencies do function properly ...

Do you mind attaching the file with which you have difficulties ...

• Hi Carim

It's the last one you sent to me, it doesn't change to $ when you choose that from the top box but stays as £. I downloaded it again from above in case I had done something but it still doesn't work for dollars, sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks very much

• Well ... it does work properly at my end ... So the first question will be about your Excel set-up : Have you allowed macros ???

• Just in case the first file got corrupted ...

Attached is a Version 2 ... :wink:

P.S. The formatting is actually modified by the Event Macro ...

Files

• HI Carim

This is very odd, initially I was yes it works! But then when i flicked between GBP and USD again it reverted back to just staying as £. This is so strange, it must be something my end if it continues to work for you.

Thanks