Using VLookup to Find phrase within 1st column and then getting sum from 2nd column

• Creating Summary Table (Summary) from Pivot Table (Segment Master).
    Within Pivot Table, Column 1 has lots of variable content based on ad sizes plus descriptions (example: 160x600 Air)
    Column 2 has values of impressions.

I'm trying to fill in column 2 of the Summary Table (Summary), with the sum of the impressions (column 2) that have a common phrase (example: 160x600 Air) in the ad size and description column (column 1) from the Pivot Table (Segment Master).
    The names vary significantly within Column 1 of the Pivot Table so I've tried to use quotations or asterisks.

Am I trying to do too much?

1. Identify range within Column 1 of Pivot Table (Segment Master): A6:A503.
    2. Identify where data is being pulled from: Segment Master
    3. Identify what to characters/phrase to look for within column 1 of pivot table: 160x600 AIR
    4. Identify sum of values that are in column 2 of Pivot Table (Segment Master) that meet criteria.
    5. Place sum in Summary Table (Summary) B4.

• Re: Using VLookup to Find phrase within 1st column and then getting sum from 2nd colu

You can use wildcard characters in a SUMIF

eg in cell d1 contain *160x600 AIR* then the formula

=SUMIF(A:A,D1,B:B)

will add up all the values in B that have the text 160x600 AIR in column A

if cell D1 has 160x600 AIR then use

=SUMIF(A:A,"*"&D1&"*",B:B)

There are three types of people in this world.
    Those who can count and those who can't.

• Re: Using VLookup to Find phrase within 1st column and then getting sum from 2nd colu

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I was 100% clear in my post as I'm not following the D1 reference.

The ad sizes and descriptions are located in Column 1 (A) - Range A6:A503. The impression counts (values) are in column 2 (B) - Range B6:B503. I'm wanting to put the sum of these into a separate worksheet in the same file. The summary worksheet is titled "Summary" with the Pivot Table in a separate worksheet titled "Segment Master".

=SUMIF(A6:A503, "160x600 AIR", "Segment Master", B6:B503) - something like that?

Sorry if the two columns are in different sheets there's no real solution

You need the two columns to be in the same sheet (copy + paste) and asterixes around the text
    eg
    =SUMIF(Sheet1!A6:A503, "*160x600 AIR*",Sheet1!B6:B503)

instead of having the "*160x600 AIR*" in the formula you would typically have *160x600 AIR* in a cell (say D1) and use the cell reference in the formula

=SUMIF(Sheet1!A6:A503,D1,Sheet1!B6:B503)

There are three types of people in this world.
    Those who can count and those who can't.

If Neal's solution is not what you need, then . . .

To get the most precise answers, it is best to upload a sample workbook (sensitive data scrubbed/removed) that shows a few manually created examples of the desired results.
    The structure and data types of the workbook must exactly match that of the real workbook. Include in the workbook a clear and explicit explanation of all requirements.The sample workbook only needs to contain enough data to illustrate the need to aid with developing the solution.

[COLOR="navy"]How to edit your post or thread title or upload an attachment[/COLOR]

1. Click the EDIT POST in the gray band immediately below your post
    2. Click Go Advanced
    3. Edit the post or thread title
    4. To upload: scroll down to Manage Attachments -- use ZIP compression if necessary to meet file size limitations