Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Professional Development: The Definitive Guide ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Development: The Definitive Guide ...

Professional Excel Development: The Definitive Guide to Developing Applications Using Microsoft Excel and VBA by Stephen Bullen (Author), Rob Bovey (Author), John Green (Author).

That book has plenty possitive comments on amazon.co.uk average is 5/5.

Please can anyone tell me if it's worthy to buy?

Re: Professional Development: The Definitive Guide ...

It is an extremely informative text. I find it hard to read (digest) at times due both to the high information density and also to the writing style in some sections. But it is full of code examples (most included on the attached CD), explanations, and a broad range of coverage. It's generaly replaced Walkenback as my most common reference manual.

My take is that it is worth the investment (both purchase price and reading/studying time).
    Best Regards,
    Tom
    ---------------------------
    Please help Oz share knowledge among all users by posting your questions in a public forum rather than using a Private Message.

Comment

I agree with Thomach
      I use it as a reference only book
      and is worth the money
      Jim
      "The problem with designing vba code completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

Comment

If you want an Excel VBA reference book then (IMHO) the best one around is Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference by Green, Bullen, Bovey and Alexander. It's the complete package and is much more comprehensive than PED as a reference book.
        Warning: The 2003 version of this book is awful.

Professional Excel Development (PED) focuses on many advanced areas - as it says on the synopsis, it goes beyond other books. Unless your Excel/Excel VBA is already very competant then you will not be able to follow most of the material since it is written with the assumption that you do.

So should you buy PED? That totally depends on what you're after....

Just my 2c.... [I own both these books]

Comment

Colin makes a good point. I also have the Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference by Green, Bullen, Bovey and Alexander and it is very good. However, I've only used it as an occasional reference thus far, whereas I've read and studied the Professional Excel Development text, so I know what's in the latter and pretty well where to find it. Hence I tend to go to it first. Had I not read it already, I'd probably be using the Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference more frequently.
          Best Regards,
          Tom
          ---------------------------
          Please help Oz share knowledge among all users by posting your questions in a public forum rather than using a Private Message.

Comment

Bullen's PED is a great book. I bought it at a point when I could (just) grasp the material, and it improved my practices immensely. If you're ready for it, buy it. If you're not, buy it anyway, skim it, and come back to it piece-meal when you are.

Based on Colin's recommendation, Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference is my next acquisition.
            Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate.

Comment

Now I feel a little differently on Excel 2007 Programmer's Ref: it's a good book, but I would rather have PED. Maybe this is because I also have 2002 Programmer's Ref and don't use Excel 2007 a great deal? I currently don't view the 2007 version of Programmer's Ref as being essential...

Comment

Working...
              X