Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linking to embedded spreadsheet in Powerpoint

Any help appreciated!

The aim of the project is to produce a chart in powerpoint with a scroll bar. Moving the scroll bar moves a line on the chart.
    To do this I have an embedded worksheet behind a chart in powerpoint and link the scroll bar through vba to a macro. The data in the worksheet is simply gradient and intercept (which is what the scroll bar controls) as well as the information to create the chart.

The problem is how do I automate the updating of gradient without manual intervention?

I have considered links from Excel but this doesn't work with scroll bars.

Thanks.

Re: linking to embedded spreadsheet in Powerpoint

Hi Marxai,

It should be possible to produce VBA code to update the excel chart and its under lying data.
    It may also be possible to do it all within PowerPoint.

Could you post an example of the chart you have and explain what should change when the scrollbar is moved?

Cheers
    Andy

Comment

Consider a standard line graph with 2 straight lines in powerpoint.
      The scroll bar moves one of the straight lines up or down.
      To create these lines I have, in the embedded sheet, underlying values - in a named range.

The task would be to update these values in powerpoint by changing values in an excel file - updating to be triggered by the user.

Thanks for your help Andy.

Marxai

Comment

Attached is a ppt with a example using MSGraph and another with a linked Excel workbook.
        Attached Files

Cheers
        Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy for all your help.

Is it possible to revise the code so that the updating via excel and the scroll bar are independent.

I would like to be able to do the following steps:

1) We find values to be inserted into the chart (These are in excel - they will control the slope and the starting points of the 2 lines).

2) Update powerpoint chart - automatically.

3) Have scroll bar in powerpoint such that "original" excel workbook is not required but when moved, moves 1 line up or down..

Consider the scenario of running the powerpoint presentation on different networks - I would like to not be in the position of sending both the presentation and the linked excel workbook.

Thanks Andy - I look forward to your reply.

Marxai

Comment

Hi,

See revised attachment. It has slide with and embedded excel, no external book, that is updated by the scroller.

Have a search through the other threads as there are example of moving data from excel to powerpoint via code.
            Attached Files

Cheers
            Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy.

It seems the two ideas of scroll bar and updating data aren't compatible.
              Your third slide in your example is where I am currently with this project.
              Having looked at some posts about importing data from excel to powerpoint, none are to an existing embedded worksheet unless you have a link.

Is there no way of writing to the embedded worksheet (which we need for the scroll bar) using powerpoint vba? Isn't there a certain object that can be used?

Thanks,

Marxai

Comment

There is already code in the ppt. That's how the chart updates on the 3rd slide.
                I write the value of the scroller into the embedded excel object.

Cheers
                Andy

Comment

Sorry for the lack of reply up until now.
                  I have to admit that I was far to close to the problem to be able to see clearly - you put that right - Thanks!

One query however - I have managed a fix but I don't understand why it works! Maybe you know.

Whenever updating data in the embedded worsksheet for one of the lines, upon going into the presentation and using the slider - the new data disappears and reverts back to the old data.

My fix was to make a duplicate slide of the updated slide and then delete it. This seems to work but, as I say, I don't know why!

Thanks again Andy -

Marxai

Comment

I am new to this group and would appreciate some help

I want to print the value "Y" on my power point slide, where Y = A*B, and where the Power Point user can vary A and B using scroll-bars. Along with printing the value of "Y", I would also like to print the value of "A" and "B" at the current setting of the scrollbar.

I can do this very easily in Excel ... but dont know how to embed this functionality in powerpoint.

I would greatly appreciate any help or example powerpoint slide in this regard.

Thank you very much in advance.

Comment

Working...
                    X