Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel Not Responding

Hi All,

This is a bit of an unusual one, so I apologise for the poor title and if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

So I have created a spreadsheet containing a number of different macros, it's being used more or less as a front end for a database. This document is used by 24 of my colleagues all day every day and has been performing smoothly until recently.

All of a sudden (with no changes being made to the document) 3 of my colleagues have major issues with this document and everyone else remains unaffected. The issue occurs at different times as I will go on to explain but excel decides to completely crash (not responding) it then closes and tries to recover the workbook as you'd expect. This sometimes happens shortly after opening with no VB running at all or sometimes when running a particular piece of code.

I've been in touch with my companies IT dept to try and find the cause but I'm starting to wonder if it could be something to do with the document? I've tried to take a look at task manager and it doesn't appear to be short on memory (even when running the macros that crash excel).

*Edit*
    I've just had some feedback from our IT dept who are telling me that a file called FM20.dll is causing excel to crash. I'm just googling this now to find out how to deal with it, but I've not had any experience with it before.

I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction to help me trouble shoot this bizarre problem. As always any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Connor
    Last edited by holdec03; 3 weeks ago. Reason: Updated information

Re: Excel Not Responding

Just to add to this the file size is 106KB, figured I'd mention this to prove its not down to mass formatting or anything like that.

Comment

Hiya,

Just in case anyone is suffering the same issue, I've been researching the FM20.dll error and I've come across this thread. I've tested with adding userforms and it seems to present the same symptoms.

Link to Microsoft Forum

Comment

Which version and build of Office is it? I suffered from that issue about a month ago but it resolved itself after I did a full repair of Office. I had also done a few other things like clearing out all .exd files and copying over an old version of the fm20.dll so I can't be sure what actually cured it in the end!
        Rory
        Theory is when you know something, but it doesnít work. Practice is when something works, but you donít know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: nothing works and they donít know why

Comment

Hi Rory,

Thanks for your response, our IT department reinstalled office on one the devices and that didn't work so I'll suggest the other things you mentioned.

We all have Office Professional Plus 2010 Version: 14.0.7184.5000 (32-Bit). That includes those experiencing the issue and myself who (at present) remains unaffected.

Thanks Again

Comment

It's probably worth double-checking what updates have been applied to their machines that perhaps haven't been to yours.
            Rory
            Theory is when you know something, but it doesnít work. Practice is when something works, but you donít know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: nothing works and they donít know why

Comment

I've got some screenshots of their update history, do you know if there's a quicker way? an export to excel maybe?

If not I'll got through manually but there seems to be quite a lot going on in there.

Comment

I don't I'm afraid.
                Rory

Comment

So I thought I'd give an update for anyone following this issue.

I've had the users experiencing the issue log into my device (I don't have any issues) and the fault seems to have followed them. So in our case I think that rules out office updates although in someone else's situation it would still be a good check.

I've had an update on the Microsoft forum quoted above (link again below for convenience) where another user PDE14 has been able to find an issue with FM20.dll being initialised twice. I'll let you read his post for a full explanation.

I've passed this on to our IT department and will report back with any action taken.

Comment

Hiya,

Further update to this with at least a temporary solution as suggested on the Microsoft forum (link below). Simply delete the file referred to below (of course make a backup first):

C:\Users\ (select user) \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Forms\EXCEL.box

I have tried this with 3 users which seems to have solved the issues so far, though I will not consider this resolved until we've been a few days without any errors.

Link to Microsoft Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X