Problem writing from text boxes on user form to cells in Excel speadsheet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem writing from text boxes on user form to cells in Excel speadsheet

Hi. This is my first post to this forum. I have a user form that has 6 text boxes. I know that the values are being assigned to variables correctly because I have them all listed in a message box (one below the other) after the user hits OK after entering the sixth value. However, when I then try to write those 6 values to a column in Excel, only the first value is written, and this is always the value in the first 'Activecell.value.....' statement in the routine. The problem is that I want all 6 values listed, in cells E1:E6. I am pasting the code below that is associated with the OK key at the bottom of the user form. I assume I am making a mistake here that will be obvious to some or most of you.

Code:
    Public Sub OK_Click()

MsgBox Mycell & vbNewLine & _ 'displays values of variables from text boxes in user form
    Condition_name & vbNewLine & _
    MyNum & vbNewLine & _
    trial_start & vbNewLine & _
    Baseline_num & vbNewLine & _
    Myvalue

Range("E1").Value = UserForm1.User_inputs.Value 'should write input values to text boxes to cells in Excel
    Range("E2").Value = UserForm1.Sheet_name.Value
    Range("E3").Value = UserForm1.Trial_num.Value
    Range("E4").Value = UserForm1.Start_time.Value
    Range("E5").Value = UserForm1.Baseline_cell_num.Value
    Range("E6").Value = UserForm1.OSR_trials.Value

End Sub
    Last edited by StephenR; February 6th, 2019, 22:04. Reason: add code tags

Welcome to Ozgrid. Please remember to use code tags in future as per forum rules.

Actually there's nothing obviously wrong with that code, particularly if the first one works. Possibly a silly question but is there definitely text in all the boxes? Could you have any sheet formatting that might affect things - are the values definitely not there as opposed to just being not visible? Also check the textbox names are definitely correct.

Comment

Thank you for your response Stephen.
      I just tried the code again, but instead of trying write the data from the user form text boxes to the Excel cells, I wrote the values stored in the variable names. Doing that, everything was written to the Excel sheet correctly. I know that when I tried it before, the data were entered into the user form, but is it possible that the values somehow got erased upon hitting the OK button? I ask this because when I run that small amount of code, each time the user form appears it has the same values as from the first time I entered values, except for 1 cell that has no value at all (even though a value is entered each time I complete the form).
      I assume this won't be a problem when I use Load and Unload commands in the larger program this will be a part of.
      Finally, I saw the info on line about how to format code when posting to the forum, but honestly, I didn't understand what I was supposed to do. Is it as simple as enclosing the code snippet in certain characters (e.g., in LaTeX using ``` before and after the code)?

Comment

The values will not be retained between runs but shouldn't be erased while running the code. Can you upload a small workbook which illustrates the behaviour?

Wrap the code using the # button on the editor or write [code] and closing tag [ /code] (without the space).

Comment

Thanks Stephen.
          I am happy to report that I got the code to work both ways: Writing the values stored in variable names to the spreadsheet, and writing the values in the text boxes to the spreadsheet.
          I noticed that in addition to the procedures (Subs) for the text boxes and the OK and Cancel buttons on the user form I created, there were some extra procedures that were empty. Once I deleted these, then the code worked in terms of writing the values in the text boxes to the spreadsheet. I have noticed that sometimes when I'm creating a user form, there are extra procedures listed in the code window (perhaps from controls I created and deleted, or edits I made? I'm not really sure). Anyway, thank you for your offer of assistance. I'm sure I will have questions in the future, but at least things are good for now.
          Steve

Comment

Yes, that's a pain. It usually happens when you right click and View Code while the mouse arrow is inside a control. You can just delete them. Glad it all worked.

Comment

Working...
            X