Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto-Extending Graph/Chart Range

Hi All,

This is my 2nd post. And I am hoping for positive reply to this one as well.

I have a Line Graph with 2 lines on it. Is it possible to write a macro to extend the range (Source range) of one of the lines ? I would also like to add a Data Label to the newly added point.

For e.g. If I have Line 1 graph only till 65, I want the macro to extend the range by one row to include 95 and also display a datalabel

Line 1 Line 2
    10 20
    20 40
    35 63
    50 85
    65 105
    95 115
    I dont know whether I am trying to do too much with this macro. But if anyone can help me with this, it will be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

ManUtd

Re: Extending A Graph Range

So,

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to get a chart to automatically update itself according to how much information has been entered in the columns storing its data.

For this I would recommend not a macro, but using dynamic named ranges for your series, as per: http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/DynamicRanges.htm

Which is shown in my attachment. See how adding and deleting from the bottoms of the columns automatically adjusts the graph to fit.

DNRs are trickier in charts than in pivot tables but basically, the key is to define the series by dynamic named range, not the chart overall source data by the collection of the series. If someone wants to make that intelligible please go ahead, I'm not precious.

Finally, if you post an example we might be able to help a little better.

HTH
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cheeky Charlie; August 21st, 2008, 02:04. Reason: Because I can do it

Comment

Re: Extending A Graph Range

See the tutorials available at Peltier Technologies to learn how to create dynamic charts.
      http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...ynamic-charts/
      AAE
      ----------------------------------------------------

Forum Rules | Message to Cross Posters | How to use Tags

Comment

Re: Auto-Extending Graph/Chart Range

Lots of ANSWERS TO SIMILAR QUESTIONS directly above your post. A quick search yeilds hundreds more too.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help guys. But unfortunately, I dont think your solution answers my questions. Apologies if I failed to explain the problem properly. Charlie, thanks for the dynamic range eg.

I have attached an example. In the attached sheet there are two lines on the graph for "Cumulative Actual" and "Cumulative Estimated" with Cumulative Actual range only till row 10 (25-05-08). There is already a value in the cell below this one as it has a formula but I do not want to display in the graph now as it the same value (hence the dynamic range might not work). But if you change the value in cell B11 (Actual) the value in cell D11 will be different from D10 and hence now I want to display it on the graph (by extending the range by one row) and if possible also add a data label to the newly added value.

I am not sure whether this can be achieved using dynamic ranges as I am fairly new to excel. The reason I am trying to automate this is because there are at least 40 such graphs that I need to update.

Dave, I did search for this one. But could not find an appropriate solution and hence a new thread.

I hope this explains the problem more precisely.

Regards,

ManUtd
          Attached Files

Comment

Cant open yourattachment right now, but a simple way would be to add a helper column to your data which indicates where the change of date is/is not present. Then your dynamic range can use that as the row offset value.

Comment

Hi,

Define the ranges:

Records

Refers to: =MATCH(2,1/(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$65536<>0))

xValues

Refers to: =Sheet1!$A$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,Records+1)

yValues1

Refers to: =Sheet1!$D$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$D:$D,Records+1)

yValues2

=Sheet1!$E$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$E:$E,Records+1)

HTH
              Kris

ExcelFox

Comment

hi,Krishnakumar's function is worthy.
                regards/junho lee
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Krishna, Thanks a lot for your help. I cant download the attachment as of now. Will try after some time.
                  Auto Merged Post Until 24 Hrs Passes;

Superb Krishna !!!....it works like a treat....thanks a ton .. Now can anyone try and answer the latter half of my question ?...how can I automatically add a data label to the newly added value and get rid of the datalabel of the now second from last value (Basically I want to display datalabel only for the last value)..

Please remember I want to automate this due to the large number of graphs.

Superb Krishna !!!....it works like a treat....thanks a ton .. Now can anyone try and answer the latter half of my question ?...how can I automatically add a data label to the newly added value and get rid of the datalabel of the now second from last value (Basically I want to display datalabel only for the last value)..

Please remember I want to automate this due to the large number of graphs.
                  Last edited by ManUtd; August 21st, 2008, 19:00. Reason: Auto Merged Doublepost

Comment

Can anyone please tell me whether I can automatically (using a macro or anything) add/delete a datalabel for the last datapoint on the linegraph

Comment

Create another series based on a range that has a formula.
                      The formula should output #N/A for all but the cell that contains the last point.

Apply data labels to the series. Only the valid points, which is 1, will display the label.

Cheers
                      Andy

Comment

Very neat Andy, I was pondering code - but not necessary with your solution.

FYI ManU, you can force an NA error with =NA() which can also be put into ifs/lookups etc.

Comment

Thats great you guys....I am sure that will work...I will try that right away.. n hopefully I should trouble you guys more with this issue :-)

Many thanks again...it is really appreciated...

BRILLIANT !! Andy n Charlie....it does work...I have implemented it...used the following formula for the new range

=IF(NOT(B2=0),IF(B3=0,D2,NA()),NA())

This website really rocks !!!!

BRILLIANT !! Andy n Charlie....it does work...I have implemented it...used the following formula for the new range

Last edited by ManUtd; August 23rd, 2008, 00:36. Reason: Auto Merged Doublepost

Comment

Please post the final version of your workbook so that others who search and find this post will have an example. Thanks!
                            AAE
                            ----------------------------------------------------

Forum Rules | Message to Cross Posters | How to use Tags

Comment

AND read the rules on asking questions MOT covered by your thread title if you wish to get more help in future.

PM me when you have done so.

Comment

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X