Show Only Month Name In Date Cells

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show Only Month Name In Date Cells

Hi, forgive me, this is my first post. I need assistance with the following date range scenario: I have a date field where the user enters a date. I want the next field to automatically give the month of that date for example: user enters 01/01/2008 I want the next field to automatically say "JAN" etc. I know this is probably quite basic but it would be really helpful if someone could tell me how this is achieved. Many thanks
    Auto Merged Post Until 24 Hrs Passes;

apologies again - have answered my own question by formatting the target cells as MMMM
    Last edited by kategorgeous; May 21st, 2008, 23:20. Reason: Auto Merged Doublepost

Re: Date Range Resulting In Month Calculation

Just copy the date to the next field. Then,
    -Right click...Format Cells
    -'Number' Tab
    -Select 'Custom' from the list on the left
    -Enter "mmm" under 'Type'
    -Click 'OK'

Comment

Hi - massive thanks for the quick reply. The problem with this solution is it messes up my pivot tables. I have a pivot table which references the month and now that it has become a date (even thought it looks like a month) the table is too large - hope this makes sense! Basically I need these cells to actually say "MAY" rather than 01/05/08.

Comment

I'm not 100% clear on how you're using this but the following will give you a true text field. I am a little confused by the comment you made in the automerge vs. your last post, as to whether you have already solved your problem or not.

=CHOOSE(MONTH(A1),"JAN","FEB","MAR","APR","MAY","JUN","JUL","AUG","SEP","OCT","NOV","DEC")

Comment

Custom Format the date source AND the PivotTable field as "MMM" or Group by Month.

Comment

Re: Show Only Month Name In Date Cells

Many thanks wonderful people. Problem resolved.

Comment

Working...
            X