X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Data Point Colors For Scatter Plot Chart

Hi

I have to create a chart XY Scatter plot in excel. I have to differentiate the data points color based on the another column "category". Now I can change the data points color manually. Since the number of points is huge, is it possible to color the data points based on a column?

Thanks,
    Iswaria

Re: Conditional Data Point Colors For Scatter Plot Chart

Try this page on Scatter Plot Charts

Scatter Plot Charts

Comment

If you only need different colours simply use multiple series and formula to determine which series the data should appear in.

If you need more help post an example of your workbook and explain the rules for determining which points have which formatting

Cheers
      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Pope
        If you only need different colours simply use multiple series and formula to determine which series the data should appear in.

If you need more help post an example of your workbook and explain the rules for determining which points have which formatting
        I have three columns. The first columns are data column and third column is category column, which should be used for coloring. For example, the first row and fourth row have the value "1". So, I want color of the data points of first row and fourth should be same. Similary for each category.

Example:

x-value y-value Category
        12 2 1
        24 4 2
        36 6 3
        48 2 1

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

See the attached file. Create three new data series using IF formulas, one for each of your categories, plot them all against the x-axis data, and format each series appropriately.

Is this anything like what you wanted?

Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by davecurtis
            Hi,

See the attached file. Create three new data series using IF formulas, one for each of your categories, plot them all against the x-axis data, and format each series appropriately.

Is this anything like what you wanted?

Dave

Hi Dave,

This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot for your help.

Iswaria

Comment

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have been trying with varying success to do something like this. However, my data varies a lot on both the x and the y axes.

Here is an example.

xYcolor-0.7548.18681141.7429922.134.000493-1.554.330624-0.2533.4997653.587533.66741-0.425.554652-0.17530.0501333.862555.241394-2.1533.101775

While I could probably categorize a bit, these data are actual values related to test scores and part of the reason I want to use such a plot is that I want to be able, visually, to determine which schools need help.

Thanks for any tips!

SORRY, LOOKED FURTHER AT EXAMPLE AND HAVE NOW RESOLVED ISSUE. THANKS!

Originally posted by iswariak View Post
              Hi Dave,

This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot for your help.

Iswaria
              Last edited by excbop; July 28th, 2010, 02:02. Reason: figured out problem

Comment

Working...
              X