Return Number Before Alpha Character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return Number Before Alpha Character

I have an Excel file that quiries Google for driving distance (someone helped me with this.) It returns the correct miles but has some 'extra' characters.

Example:
    31.1&nb or 886&nbs

So the answer always has &nbs after the mileage. I tried the following function which works when there is a decimal but fails when there is not.

=REPLACE(MID(E2,1,SEARCH("&",E2,1)-1),SEARCH(".",E2,1),1,",")

Can this be done with a function or must it be VB script? Which is fine if it is.

Thanks!

Re: Replace Function - Remove X Number

Why are you searching for a decimal? It seems that all you need is everything to the left of the ampersand. If that is the case, this should work:
    =LEFT(E2,FIND("&",E2,1)-1)

Comment

Re: Replace Function - Remove X Number

turtle44 - I don't know why I was - but THANK YOU! I am new to search/finding functions in Excel and couldn't figure this out. Your solution worked.

Comment

If you wish to continue using this free service.

Please be considerate of others who use the forum for searching. Your current Thread Title (which I will change) is non-reflective of your immediate problem.

In future, please take 1 minute of your time to read the text on the New Thread page.

Please take just 3 mins of your time to read: How To Get Your Question Answered...FAST! AND Anatomy Of A Good Thread Title

REMEMBER: Your thread title should NEVER be what you THINK is your answer. 9 times out 10 it will wrong and prevent someone from finding a solution to a simliar issue.

Comment

Working...
        X