X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sum Same Cell Across Multiple Worksheets

Hello all,

I have about 100 worksheets in my excel workbook and each sheet is identical. I would like to create a control sheet that would add the cells of the different worksheets together and place it in the control. I tried doing it manually but found out quickly that it would take forever since I have a about 10 cells that I need to put on the control sheet.

For example on the control sheet in J11 I want to put in: ='1'!J11+'2'!J11......'100'!J11

Is there a faster way to do this? Thanks for your help!

Re: Add Same Cell From Different Worksheets

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot. If your sheets are named 1-100, then I think =SUM('1:100'!J11) is what you need. Let me know if I misunderstood the question.

Comment

Try:

=SUM('1:100'!J11)

Comment

Thanks much guys! that's exactly what I was looking for...thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ByTheCringe2 View Post
          Try:

=SUM('1:100'!J11)
          Hi guys,

Sorry to bring an old topic back from the dead, but today I was looking for the same answer, just one step more complicated:

Does this also work for sheets that have actual (text) names?

thanks a lot!!

Comment

Re: Sum Same Cell Across Multiple Worksheets

Sorry there, found the solution. So if anybody's looking to do the same:
            Instead of sum('1:100'!A1), you take the name of the first sheet you like to sum and the name of the last one, like this:

Sum(Sheet1:Sheet3!A1)

Comment

Try the below one....

=sum('*'!J11)

Comment

I have tried all of the recommendations and they all work - except, when I try to copy the formula to another cell to get the value from the sum of those cells in the same collection of spreadsheets it doesn't work? When I view the formula it appears to have updated the cell reference, but the cell value is the same as the first cell I worked on. When I manually enter the formula (sum(sheet1:sheet3!a1) in cell a2 (Sum(Sheet1:sheet3!a2) it works? Why would it not update the value when I copy from a1 and paste in a2 but work when I manually enter the formula with the same syntax??

Thanks

Comment

Hi kenm325
                  welcome to the forum
                  Please ask your question in the Excel forum, add a link to this post if you think it will help.
                  If the solution helped please donate to RSPCA

Sites worth visiting: Rabbitohs | Excel-it royUK | Excel Matters Rory | Kris' Spreadsheet Solutions | Domenic xl-central | SO The Macro Man | The Smallman

Comment

Hi All, Great info and solution to the original question. Instead of defining the tab range with '*' or Sheet1:Sheet3 how could I use a list of tab names? Therefore, if I create a list of tab names the Sum function would know to add the cell reference from each of the tabs listed.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comment

Hi pecochran1, welcome to OzGrid.

Please see above where previous users have been asked to post their question in a new thread. Asking your own question in another persons thread is not allowed so please start a new one and provide a link back to this one if needed.

Regards,

S O

Comment

Working...
                      X