Msgbox After Automatic Workbook Close

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Msgbox After Automatic Workbook Close

Is it possible to have a message box appear after a WorkBook is closed. I have code that automatically closes a work book after a certain amount of inactivity and would like a message box to inform the user what happened.

Code:
    Sub CloseBook()
        Call StopCycle
        Unload CloseTimer
        Unload EnterPassword
        ThisWorkbook.Saved = True
        ThisWorkbook.Close
        MsgBox "Your Excel Workbook Closed Due to Inactivity"
    End Sub
    It doesn't work that way

Re: Msgbox After Automatic Workbook Close

I don't think you can run a messagebox after the workbook containing the code is closed.
    Hope that Helps

Roy

New users should read the Forum Rules before posting

For free Excel tools & articles visit my web site

If I have helped you and you feel like putting your hand in your pocket please make a donation to Children in Need

RoyUK's Web Site

royUK's Database Form

Where to paste code from the Forum

About me.

Comment

Before Close yes, after close no as You will not longer be running Excel so the VBIDE can not process this information.

Try in the workbook module

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
      MsgBox "Excel will now close"
      Exit Sub
      End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

End Sub

Comment

I really want to pop up a message after the book has closed. Excel is still open after the book is closed.

I already have a form that pops up after 2 minutes of inactivity which has a 25 second counter, a button the user can click to stop the automatic closing and a button they can press to close the book immediately if they want. I just want a message to pop up after the book closes incase they were away from the desk and are wondering what happened to the file.

Comment

The only way to do this would be if the code was outside the workbook, perhaps in an addin
          Hope that Helps

Roy

New users should read the Forum Rules before posting

For free Excel tools & articles visit my web site

If I have helped you and you feel like putting your hand in your pocket please make a donation to Children in Need

RoyUK's Web Site

royUK's Database Form

Where to paste code from the Forum

About me.

Comment

As Jack has said You can not do this not matter how You asks the question the VBIDE is closed. Excel is not producing the message box the VBIDE is, therefore unless an Excel WorkBook is open the VBIDE can not process the VBA scripts, thus no can do that is just the way it works. This answers Your question.

Jack is not having a go at You or the question, just explaining the way these things work, this will assist You if You need or want a fix ie

Now You understand this can not be done the way You would like Jack can offer an way out, use the persanal.xls and have the close event call the rersonal.xls scripts top pop up Your message and the personal.xls will still be in session, thus fixing Your problem and giving You want You want; and message after closing that WorkBook

Hope this helps You get where You are looking, let Jack know if You need more help?

jiuk

BTW You must remember that to run VBA codes in fact You are running two separate applications that is Excel and the VBE (VBIDE) there for if we say what came first it would be the chicken, ie Excel

Comment

Working...
            X