Convert A Text Field To Numeric On Import

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert A Text Field To Numeric On Import

I have a fields coming in that are text but should be numeric. is there a formula I can put in the cell to convert it from text to numeric?

The original database has the numeric fields stored as text, but I need to import them into Excel and do calculations on them.

Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
    jim

Re: Convert A Text Field To Numeric On Import

Hi

Select the column in question, select Data from the taskbar, select text to Columns and press Finish on the Wizard.

HTH

Robert

Comment

If you format the fields as Number before the import, it should convert.

Or you can use the VALUE function to convert them into a spare column, then use Copy, Paste Special, Values to overwrite the originals.
      Last edited by ByTheCringe2; February 14th, 2007, 02:49.

Comment

not possible to convert before hand. I am trying to create a template that will present the data and calculate values. The data is coming from a Lotus database that our programmers (external) do not have the time to convert the fields. So I need a function to convert the field to numeric so I can calculate values.
        Thanks
        Jim

Comment

Robert thanks for your help but what I am trying to do is have it automatically convert upon opening the excel worksheet.

Thanks

Comment

If you can have an extra column to put the converted value in, use the formula

=VALUE(A1)

Otherwise you will need to use VBA. All other methods need you to do something after the import.

Comment

Thanks I will try that right now and get back to you.

Comment

Working...
              X