X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create Visual Hierarchy similar to an org chart

Hi

I would like to convert data in two columns, which lists an item and it's parent, into a visual hierarchy showing the relationship between products, similar to an organisation structure.

I am finding this quite hard to explain. Please see the attached xls as this shows what i am trying to do.

Please could someone give me some ideas about how to proceed.

cheers

Ed
    Attached Files

Re: Create Visual Hierarchy similar to an org chart

Hi

I would use a pivot table, see attachement
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought of pivot tables. However I realise that i didn't post enough sample data, as i expect to have more than two levels of hierarchy, would i be able to this still with a pivot table.

eg
      Foodstuffs>Fruit>Apples>Braeburns

Ed

Comment

Hi ed

Yes you will be able to use a pivot table. In doubt post a larger sample of the work sheet and we will have a look at it.

Thanks
        Denis

Comment

How's this?

Making it work for any number of hierarchy levels was a real bear. I had to use a recursive subroutine and I think I might've hurt my brain in the process.

It's not exactly what you asked for, but it's pretty darn close! For each item listed it recursively traces thru the parents in the heirarchy and lists them.

If you try to modify it and/or can't get it to work outside of my example, you might just be on your own. I think I'm gonna go sit in the corner now and tremble for awhile...
          Attached Files
          Sub All_Macros(Optional control As Variant)

Comment

aaron, if there wasn't an ocean between us, i'd come over and hug you now. This does exactly what i wanted. Cheers you've saved my weekend.

Ed

Comment

Hi guys, I have similar but different issue.

I am making organisational chart. And I was thinking of pivot, however my input data sem not to be enough for what I want. I have column: Name Column2: Reports to and Column 3: Completion ratio of trainings.

Now when I make a pivot out of it, I fail to make subgroups, for example click on CEO I get VPs, when I click VPs I see senior managers. In my view, everything is separate. Here the simple example.

I really hope I dont need to manually insert 3-4 new columns with who reports further to whom, when it is already in table. org chart.xlsx

Comment

Hi mashnica - You are welcome to the forum, but please start a new thread for your problem ....

This is what the two previous posts to yours was referring to ("thread hijack"), and it also applies to you

Cheers
                Ger

Check out our new reputation system. Click on the "star" under the post!

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that dont.

Why are Halloween and Christmas the same? Because Oct 31 = Dec 25...

The BEST Lookup function of all time

Dynamic Named Ranges are your bestest friend

Comment

Working...
                X