Rounding to nearest .25 (times)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rounding to nearest .25 (times)

I need to round numbers to the nearest .25, e.g. 8.39 to 8.50, 4.21 to 4.25, etc)

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Correct solution below. This was a brain fault. I think there is a function to do this directly -- I'm blanking. But the following should work : if you number is in A1:
    =round(a1*100,0)/100

Format the cell to two decimal places.
    Best Regards,
    Tom
    ---------------------------
    Please help Oz share knowledge among all users by posting your questions in a public forum rather than using a Private Message.

Comment

BRAIN DEAD (me, not you): Sorry, I was rushing out. Use:
      =round(a1*4,0)/4
      Best Regards,
      Tom
      Please help Oz share knowledge among all users by posting your questions in a public forum rather than using a Private Message.

Comment

There is a function to do it directly (Thank you, Derk). It requires the Analysis Tool Pack (add-in) be attached.
        =MROUND(a1,0.25)
        Best Regards,
        Tom

Comment

Re: Rounding to nearest .25

This has been asked before but I am not understanding it. Would someone please help me with my assignment for school? My assignment is this:

How do you round the product of one cell multiplied by another cell to the nearest $.25? She is not looking for the problem to be rounded to 2 decimal places. She is wanting to be able to round to the nearest quarter of a cent.

For example: 4.92 would be rounded to 5.00 and 4.78 would be rounded to 4.75.

The answer will also work for rounding time to the nearest quarter of an hour or tenth of an hour, ect.

Please help me with this problem and give me clear instructions.

Last edited by ccstudent; February 1st, 2005, 08:36. Reason: found I CAN use the tool pack

Comment

The Analysis Toolpak ships with Excel - it is part of standard Excel, but you have to activate the addin.

see here for instructions

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...277241033.aspx

Then you can use the formula

=MROUND(A1,0.25)

Assuming A1 contains 4.78, the answer will be 4.75
            Kind Regards, Will Riley

LinkedIn: Will Riley

Comment

That was VERY helpful. Thank you very much! Now I am having trouble rounding up to the nearest quarter hour. Please be patient with me due to the fact I am learning the program and I am blonde Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Can you attach a small example of what you are trying to do...

I am learning the program and I am blonde

There are only stupid answers here... there are no stupid questions...
                Kind Regards, Will Riley

Comment

You helped me to understand rounding help (whiched worked, THANK GOD) Now I need to be able to apply the formule to rounding up to the nearest quarter hour or tenth of an hour (example: 2:36a.m. to 2:45am and 4:05p.m. to 4:15p.m.).

My instructor was telling me to take 1/(24*4) and to figure it out. But mind you I am not a huge mathmatical person (in fact I do only basic math) so I am confused for sure.

Thanks again, Steffanie

Comment

OK, I can see what he's getting at, but he's being a bit of a vague arse if he's supposed to be teaching you. I mean, you don't know Excel right?

OK, unless you know Excel, you won't know the peculiar way it stores dates & times.

Dates are stored numerically, starting with the number 1 (which was 1/1/1900) - on that basis, Excl recognises today as being 38,384 - this is why we can subtract 1 date from another and calculate the elapsed days....

Time values are similar. Granted that 24 Hours has the value of 1 (in date terms), the following logic should make sense.

24 Hours can be measured as 1/24

i.e. if a day (in excel terms) is 1 - then it follows that excel thinks of an hour as 1/24

OK... hope you're still with me...

So a quarter of an hour is 1/24/4 That's a 1 divided by 24 divided by 4 - this can also be expressed as 1/(24*4)

So, let's go back to our problem.

Let's say A1 has the time 12:26

In A2 type

=MROUND(A1,1/(24*4))

Hey... the answer is 12:30

Which is what you want.

If you needed to alter it to round to the nearest 10 minute slot..... well, there are 4*15 minutes in 1 hour & 6*10 minutes...

so it's

=MROUND(A1,1/(24*6))

Hope this helps.... at least more so than "Professor Vague"
                    Kind Regards, Will Riley

Comment

By the way --- if "Instructor Bonehead" keeps on teaching you that way... just skip his/her classes & hang out here asking how to do your assignments..... we'll explain how you do them but we don't do 'em for ya
                      Kind Regards, Will Riley

Comment

My instructor is a little strange and I have to show up to class for part of my grade; I want to learn, I don't someone to do the work for me. I tried your way but it is coming up as a error what could I be doing wrong?

Comment

Oops, which formula did you try - there was a typo in the last one....

Also, how are your cells formatted?

Hang on, I'll attach an example... just click & download it.
                          Attached Files
                          Kind Regards, Will Riley

Comment

Sorry, I had to switch computer the lab was closing and I needed to come into the library. I opened Excel and it looks like the cells are formated TIME (hour, min, sec) and I would like it to be formatted to be TIME (HH:MM) like yours. How do I do that?

P.S. My instructor is a she.

Comment

Re: Rounding to nearest .25 (times)

This seems like its a vague question and I know it is. I think that she wanted the class to think about it and to try to find help online (whether it is in some forum or articles or how to websites). But now that I have found this place, it will help in the future with some of my homework questions

I was ment to find this site and get your help.

THANKS for all the help

Comment

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X