solver: an unexpected internal error occurred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solver: an unexpected internal error occurred

Hi, I have just spent ages working on something. Saved it, then came back an open it only to get:

solver: an unexpected internal error occurred, or available memory was exhausted

I know it is not a memory problem. And searching the web I came accross this from microsoft . However, that article is refering to a problem in excel 2000 and I am using 2003. Has anyone else experinced this issue with 2003. If so how did you fix it? I found somewhere a suggestion to set your regional setting to English -US. Does anyone know if this means to change it in excel, office, or windows.

Re: solver: an unexpected internal error occurred

Max0d
    Have You checked my post on Your other solver question, lots of work went into that might help if it loads correctly - then we can see if the memory issue sticks with us

see Jacks post here re 'Solver Install' - jiuk

jiuk

Comment

your regional setting to English
      These are Microsfot Windows issuse and are tobe found in the Control Pannel

jiuk

Comment

Tried on both my computers and I get the same error message. The only thing I have found that fixes it is to run solver manually and then no error message when I run the macros

Comment

think I might have found a fix for it. By adding this line of code to the start of the module for the solver:
          Code:
          Application.Run "Solver.xla!Auto_Open"

Comment

Have You set the refrences as per the link in my earlier post?

The code(s) should be Ok have You tried them? Load the correct references; I know Solver is fussy so set up correct first might be good

Memory wise maybe Your over doing it, maybe to much for Your WorkStation to code with or Solver to process I am no Solver expert at this level - but first steps first - i do not see how

..........Auto_Open

To the solver XLA will cure memory issues, maybe i am wrong but the Solver.xla runs with / via a C++ file the Solver.dll

jiuk

Comment

Hello all,

I have just spent an hour with this problem and the solution i have found is that i mis-declared my variables. My code was:

Code:
                SolverOk SetCell:=Range("X" & lr), MaxMinVal:=3, ValueOf:=Min_Fund, ByChange:="$E$27", _
                      Engine:=1, EngineDesc:="GRG Nonlinear"
                  SolverAdd CellRef:="$E$27", Relation:=3, FormulaText:=Min_Sa
              Where Min_Sa was declared as a Single because it was a number but it should be declared as a Variant as Solver seems to read it as a text, as labelled in the code, and you dont want to use string if you're using it as a number in other parts of the codes. Hopefully this helps

Comment

Working...
              X