Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error message : "File error. Some number formats may have been lost.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error message : "File error. Some number formats may have been lost.

Hi to all
    I wrote this appliction using Excel 2003.

When I eMailed it to another person, using Excel 2000 - he got the "File error. Some number formats may have been lost." error message when he opened the file.

Can anyone help me:
    - What does error message mean?
    - What damage is done?
    - How can I prevent it ?

Thanx in advance
    LAngel

Re: Error message : "File error. Some number formats may have been lost.

LAngel,

I do not have XL2003 so I can not test this, but it sounds like XL2000 has been able to read the file, but is aware something is different. The easiest solution would be to save the file in an earlier version of Excel.

There should be options on the Save As menu item. If you need the code you can record the macro.

HTH,

Alan.

Comment

I think it has something to do with "tags" in Office 2003, that were not used in 2000.

I am pretty sure that it is not something you need to worry about unless the 2003 doc used tags. I seem to remember laboriously checking through a file once & finding nothing different (at least as far as number formats were concerned).
      Kind Regards, Will Riley

LinkedIn: Will Riley

Comment

Thanx for your advices WillR and A9192Shark .

I am glad that you think that nothing I dont have to worry about but I still have this annoying error massage.

Shark's suggestion is brilliant, but when tried to save the workbook as an earlier version of Excel, I found the only version that I have is the Excel 97 Version.
        When I tried to save it with this option the Excel didn't allow me to save "File did not saved" error message.

Do you have any idea how can I save it as an Excell 2000 Workbook?

Thanx again
        LAngel

Comment

LAngel,

No, but you might stop the error message by putting a workbook open procedure in that turned warnings off! Not sure how you would then turn them back on, or if indeed the workbook open event would happen before or after xl checks the file format. I would expect xl to check before the workbookopen event, but maybe.....

Other than that perhaps a search of the Microsoft KB will help?

Alan.

Comment

Hi
            I tried it but I still have the error message
            Thanx any way

Comment

Working...
            X