Text to Columns looping VBA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text to Columns looping VBA

I have several workbooks where I have a variable number of columns. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to write a VBA code that would loop and convert each column to text until a column is blank? Especially frustrating is the VBA code that says

Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("B1")

because then it'll paste all the columns it converts into cell B1.

Many thanks in advance!

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Do you have formulas that you want to erase the formula and have only the result (ie cell a1 shows 2, but selecting that cell will let you see the formula "=1+1"). Or do you want to change numeric values to text values (a1 would become "2").

Comment

what's your delimiter ?
      Kind Regards, Will Riley

LinkedIn: Will Riley

Comment

Delimiter?

There's no formulas. I'm not sure what a delimiter is.The reason I'm doing this is becuase someone else exports the files from Access to Excel which puts everything in text. The columns have text and numbers and the only way I can figure out to have the numbers as actual manipulatible (sp?) numbers is to use the "text to columns" function. However, I'd have to do this for 400 columns and was hoping to get around it by looping a macro.

Here's the VBA I have but it keeps pasting the results in cell "B1".

Columns("B:B").Select
        Do Until ActiveCell.Columns = " "
        Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("B1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
        TextQualifier:=xlSingleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, _
        Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo _
        :=Array(1, 1), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True
        ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Columns.Select
        Loop

Comment

I almost figured it out!

Columns("B:B").Select
          Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=ActiveCell.Range("A1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
          ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Columns("A:A").EntireColumn.Select
          Loop

This VBA will select the column and then convert it until it reaches a blank column at which it gives me the error that there's no data to parse. Any thoughts?

Comment

Still not sure how to solve your overall problem, but try changing your

to

Do Until ActiveCell.Columns = ""

Comment

Schweet! Here's the final VBA code incase anyone needs to convert a whole bunch of columns.

Do
              Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=ActiveCell.Range("A1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
              ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Columns("A:A").EntireColumn.Select
              Loop Until IsEmpty(ActiveCell.Columns("A:A"))

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X