No announcement yet.

VBA to extract & combine data from multiple excel file from a specific folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBA to extract & combine data from multiple excel file from a specific folder

conditions:-
    a long list of excel files in FIXED folder (eg. C Drive: Data Folder)
    no fix number of files
    file comes in different file names
    file come in different worksheet name.

how to have a VBA to automatically:-
    1) pull the data from this files with a FIXED column range but row will depends on each file
    2) combine it to one excel & auto save it

Re: VBA to extract & combine data from multiple excel file from a specific folder

Hi Luvnet

This is a very commonly asked question on this and other forums. THere is a lot of information not supplied. Like where is the data stored in the opened files, where is it going to, as single column or multiple columns. Asking the right questions leads to a more specific answer. Here is some generic code which should do what you wish. If you can manipulate it from your end all the better.

Take care

Smallman

Code:
    Option Explicit
    Sub OpenFile()
        Dim sPath As String
        Dim sFil As String
        Dim strName As String
        Dim twbk As Workbook
        Dim owbk As Workbook
        Dim ws As Worksheet

Set twbk = ActiveWorkbook
        sPath = "C:\Data Folder\" 'Change to suit
        sFil = Dir(sPath & "*.xls")

Do While sFil <> ""
            strName = sPath & sFil
            Set owbk = Workbooks.Open(strName)
            Set ws = owbk.Sheets(1)
            ws.Range("A1", Range("A" & Row.Count).End(xlUp)).Copy
            twbk.Sheets(1).Range("A65536").End(xlUp)(2).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
            owbk.Close False 'Close no save
            sFil = Dir
        Loop

twbk.Save
    End Sub
    sigpicthesmallman.com .......... Excel Dashboards ............ Excel Infographicsg..........k

Comment

Re: VBA to extract &amp; combine data from multiple excel file from a specific folder

Folder Path - "C:\Users\Chau_Yee_Wong\Desktop\SI Orders"
      File type might be .xls or .xlsx
      Data to copy from each file is From A19 to J19
      Rows will be different for each file. Normally i use Relative Reference+End+Down after selecting the Col to range the visible row
      Combining data from all files available on that folder into 1 new file. Do the data should have 10col

one new request.
      the excel file that been saved onto the folder will surely have a Date Modified details (Date & Time). can this details be populated onto excel file.
      meaning when i open the 1stFile, will copy the above range (eg A19:J21) & paste onto a new file. then add in the Date & Time details of 1stFile onto Col L.
      Then open 2ndFile from the folder, again go to the same col & relative ref down for the number of rows available (A19:J28), copy & paste it onto 1 row after 1stFile (A22:J31) & add the date & time details.
      continue this steps until all the file been open & copied the data onto the specific new file.

Comment

Re: VBA to extract &amp; combine data from multiple excel file from a specific folder

note - all the files might have different worksheet name ^_^

Comment

Hi

All of the items you requested on Post 3 are possible. This however

note - all the files might have different worksheet name ^_^
          does concern me somewhat. Is the sheet object name the same in each workbook, for example is the data to collect on Sheet1? If not perhaps there is only 1 sheet in each file? Failing that is there some characteristic about the names on the workbooks which is unique? If the answer is no to all of those questions then there is nothing I can do to help. There has to be a unique item about the sheet you want to import.

Take care

Smallman
          Last edited by Smallman; August 31st, 2012, 10:44. Reason: tpyo
          sigpicthesmallman.com .......... Excel Dashboards ............ Excel Infographicsg..........k

Comment

can do a rename of the active worksheet whenever the file is been open, save it onto original file & then only pull the the data out.
            no concern if to rename the worksheet. but original worksheet name will be different when 1st open.
            thanks in advance for helping.

Comment

In that case then the sample code I provided should work for you. However you have not answered the questions I posed on Post 2. Answer these or better, much better provide a workbook. That gives me all the information I need and you don't need to say anything.

Take care

Smallman

Comment

how do i attach file to you?

Comment

Hi

Click on Go Advanced - use the paperclip and follow directions. Note your file needs to be less than 100kb. Just take some data out if it is.

I am about to fly down the East Coast of Oz so will probably be off line for a day or two so, appologies if i am unable to respond quickly.

Take care

Smallman

Comment

file attached.
                    Attached Files

Comment

attached
                      Attached Files

Comment

i cant attache another 2 files but basically the rules is the same.

Comment

Hi Luvnet

I have had a look at your files and there is something else you need to do. The Template sheets which are being consolidated have a range merged from B2 to about B16. I recommend you unmerge these cells. If you do that then you can use the following code. If not you can not. Tested on my machine with unmerged cells.

Oh there is the issue of the date and time. Where pray am I ment to get this data from it is not visible in any cell.

Take care

Smallman

Code:
                          Option Explicit
                          Option Base 1
                          Sub OpenFile()
                              Dim ar As Variant
                              Dim ar2 As Variant
                              Dim arr(1 To 3) As String
                              Dim sPath As String
                              Dim sFil As String
                              Dim strName As String
                              Dim twbk As Workbook
                              Dim owbk As Workbook
                              Dim i As Integer
                              Dim lw As Long

ar2 = Array("B2", "B4", "B13")

Set twbk = ActiveWorkbook
                              sPath = "C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Test\" 'Change to suit
                              sFil = Dir(sPath & "*.xls")

Do While sFil <> ""
                                  strName = sPath & sFil
                                   Set owbk = Workbooks.Open(strName)
                                      ar = Range("A19", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Resize(, 10))
                                          For i = 1 To 3
                                              arr(i) = Range(ar2(i))
                                          Next i
                                      owbk.Close False  'Close no save
                                     lw = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row + 1
                                    Range(Cells(lw, 1), Cells(lw + UBound(ar) - 1, 10)) = ar 'A to J
                                   Range(Cells(lw, 11), Cells(lw + UBound(ar) - 1, 13)) = arr 'K to to M
                                  Range(Cells(lw, 16), Cells(lw + UBound(ar) - 1, 16)) = sFil 'P File name
                                 sFil = Dir
                              Loop
                          End Sub

Comment

hi Smallman,
                            thanks for the code. it work well on merged cells.

But i still have some concern on the below:-
                            1) I do not need the file name (Col P) but i need the Excel File modified date & time
                            2) if i want to reduce the Col (now A to J), how can i adjust it to only Col A and Col I? How do i amend the code?

Comment

urgent help pls..... Smallman
                              can add in the excel file created details (date & time) on your code?

Comment

Working...
                              X